Care Profile: Jack
Little boy with a chromosomal disorder and chronic lung disease
We met Jack when he was four years old. He needed skilled care for a chromosomal disorder, and he also had chronic lung disease. Jack was struggling to do the typical things kids do – roughhouse, run around and explore the world in the unique ways little boys are known for.
Jack’s family worked closely with his physician and HealthCall to develop a plan for Jack’s care that would allow for as much activity as was safe for Jack at the time, while providing the medical care he needed. Jack had a tracheostomy and was dependent on a ventilator. HealthCall provided 12 hours of skilled nursing care each day, through a team of three primary field nurses and a nurse supervisor. The ultimate goal for Jack’s care plan was to free him from his dependence on a ventilator
and bring his young life a much greater level of independence and activity.
After two years, Jack was successfully decannulated, no longer dependent on a ventilator to help with his breathing. For the first time in his life, Jack can run, jump, and play and more fully enjoy being a kid.
*We respect our clients’ right to privacy; the names used in our care profiles are pseudonyms.
Services we provide
- Ventilator/tracheostomy management
- Medication administration
- Medical care for genetic disorders/birth anomalies
- Skilled nursing accompaniment to school
- PICC line management including IV medication administration
- Skilled nursing assessment/ supervisory visits
- Personal care
- Mobility/transfer assistance
- Nutrition management/monitoring
- Developmental and appropriate play